- Conducts the annual town census
- Prepares the street list of the residents.
- Furnishes the jury list to the Office of the Jury Commissioner.
- Oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections.
- Directs preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment and voting lists.
- Administers campaign finance laws.
- Certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions.
- Serves on the local Board of Registrars.
- Supervises voter registration and absentee ballots.
- Prepares, records, and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
- Issues state licenses and permits including:
- Marriage licenses (by appointment only, please allow 1 hour)
- Permits for raffles and bazaars
- Issues local licenses, permits, etc, which include:
- Business certificates
- Burial permits
- Dog licenses
- Fuel storage permits
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local boards and committees
- Ensures that all elected and appointed officials are informed in writing of the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws
- Posts meeting notices of all government bodies
Official Decisions and Duties:
- Records and certifies official actions, including:
- Town Meeting legislation and appropriations
- Planning Board and Zoning Board decisions
- Certifies all notes for borrowing
- As the official Keeper of the Records for the Town of Uxbridge, the Town Clerk is the keeper of the Town Seal.
Manages Public Records:
- Provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law, corresponding regulations and Town Bylaws.
- Certifies copies of all town records.
- Records and preserves original birth, marriage, and death records, providing the basis for the Commonwealth's central vital registration system.
- Provides certified copies of vital records and conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public.
- Is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Maintains records of adopted municipal codes, general bylaws and zoning bylaws, resignations, appointments, petitions, publications, budgets, election results and town meeting minutes and financial statements.
- Submits general bylaws and zoning bylaws to Attorney General for approval.
- Maintains the Annual List of Residents.